Tuesday, August 25, 2015

No More Pack Mule


By myself at a random table in a Starbucks post dropping off my kids at school. 
That statement in itself is weird. 
Me? By myself? Weird. 
Kids at school? Weird. 
Me at Starbucks? Ok...that's pretty normal.
But I feel way out of my skin eating breakfast and drinking a fancy flat white- instead of my plain old coffee- and no one across from me at the table. 
I don't quite know what to do with all this- the here and the not here. 
I am caught thinking about all I want to do and then, all I don't want to stop doing. 
And then the Spirit whispers deep: 
In order to pick something up, you have to lay something down. 

You cannot carry all the things. 

When my kids were small, my father in law always called me a pack mule. Why? Because every time he saw me, I was carrying all the things. 
From a kid to diaper bags to Batman to trash. Times 3. 
I carried it all. 

Carry all the things. 

But that can't last forever. 
Kids grow, bags shrink, Batman gets lost, and well...they still give me their trash. 
But the truth is, we can only carry certain loads in life for a season.
And then it's time to set one thing down to pick another up. 
Better still? 
We set the good things down to pick the God things up. 

The load we have been used to carrying becomes too familiar. We tell someone wanting to help, "No don't grab anything! I've got it balanced. If you take one thing it will all come tumbling down." 
And maybe there are parts of what you're carrying that God wants you to keep. 
But maybe what's in my hands isn't meant for me to carry? 
Maybe someone else is standing there empty handed because I am carrying the good thing that's supposed to be their God thing. 

I am not meant to carry all the things. 
I am meant to carry my God things

Because that load is light. 

It may not be easy, but it is in proportion to the strength He has released for me to carry it. 

So I am sitting here, letting go and laying down what isn't mine to carry. Not knowing what it all looks like to pick up what He has put in front of me. 
But...
I know it's a God sized load that I was designed to carry. 
There are a lot of good things that I will have to lay down. 
But the God things can't be left behind
And you have to lay something down to pick something up. 
I won't be grabbing all the things, but I will be holding His things...and that is a load I can bear. 

“Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30 NLT

#SimpleTruth 
#First5App

No comments:

Post a Comment