Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Time for New Perspectacles



Some days I just want to close my eyes.
Just close my eyes and escape back to the comfort of my bed, covers pulled overhead.
The view of my life seems safer there.

I can shout at circumstances to go away, without ever looking them in the eye.
I can even pretend they aren’t there.

But that doesn’t mean they go away…or that they get smaller or untangled.
Worst of all, it usually makes them bigger than ever in my mind.
My perspective has been whittled down to the sliver of light piercing into the spot of darkness I have chosen to lie down in.

Comfortably miserable in the familiar.

Maybe you have been there.
Maybe you are there.

Maybe you, like me, know what it’s like to live life from behind the covers in your life.
Maybe you, too, have had all the feelings about all the things.
Maybe you feel like you are losing the ability to truly see.

We are in need of new perspectacles.

God given perspectacles that open my eyes to the purpose, the plan, the power for the moments I am blindly stumbling through.

The funny thing about any glasses that correct my vision, is that they don’t just jump on my face. 
I have to pick them up, and put them on- day in and day out.

That’s why it isn’t enough to simply talk about a new perspective.
It feels elusive and slippery. 
It is something I cannot hold, so I rationalize it is something I cannot have.

You and I?
We have to look at what we are holding on to, feel it and acknowledge it in our hands and set it down. 
We have to take the time, make the effort to exchange our obstacles for perspectacles.

Obstacles of fear, worry, insecurity, pain, jealousy, bitterness- they all blind us to the truth.
This kind of skewed vision leads to a life dictated by circumstance rather than His Promises.

But God will replace your obstacles with perspectacles.

You have to put on your God given perspectacles, not just so can see the way, but so you can see the One.

These perspectacles don’t merely give you sight.
They focus the eyes of your heart on His hope, the way out of this dark you’re sitting in.

He doesn’t always remove those obstacles, but He constantly reminds you that HE remains.
That is the perspective that brings victory into the cover-over-my-head days.

No one can do the seeing for us.
We have to choose to open our eyes, allow our vision to be made new.
There is power in perspective.

Don’t waste another moment staring blindly at all that drains and paralyzes you.
Throw those covers back, friends!

Put on your God given perspectacles today.

“I ask-ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory- to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for His followers, oh the utter extravagance of His work in us who trust him- endless energy, boundless strength!”
Ephesians 1:18-19 The Message



No comments:

Post a Comment