Friday, February 27, 2015

Thirty-eight Special

"Noted for its accuracy and manageable recoil, the .38 Special remains the most popular revolver cartridge in the world more than a century after its introduction. It is used for target shooting, formal target competition, personal defense, and for hunting small game."- Wikipedia 
It doesn't feel old, really.
Thirty-eight feels like this inconspicuous birthday year that hovers between the culture exacerbated "mid-thirties confidence" and "forty over-the-hill irrelevance". 
Thirty-eight looks a bit like marking time when I glance its way.
A place holder of a year until the infamous ones show up.
A year in jeopardy of being stuck in what it was and paralyzed because of where it is headed.
And that is why 38 is so crucial.

Thirty-eight is special.
Thirty-eight has footprints and fingerprints that God intends to use just like 19, 25, and 32.

They're all good friends, you see- these years of my life.
They work together so seamlessly. Flowing one into the other, never overstepping each other's territory. I'm the one who tries to pit them against each other- comparing them, condemning some, praising others.
Yet here I am, just having barely aquatinted myself with this new year, so tempted to slap it with my preconceived ideas rather than embrace the character and potential that 38 brings as the clock strikes midnight. 
And just like that, 38 opens the door of opportunity and tiptoes in, inviting me to come along. 
But I get to choose: guilt or grace.
Guilt perpetuates the lies of insecurities and postponement.
Grace is what propels me through the uncertainty and into Christ's power and freedom.

Yes, thirty-eight is special.
I can see 26 and 35 are cheering her on and I see 40 waiting patiently, pregnant with her own potential.

And so, I am welcoming 38 in, and taking her by the hand and trusting where this year will lead me because it is a gift sculpted and designed by my Father.
I've got my thirty-eight special. My eyes are on the target. And we mean business.


Tweet This:
The #SimpleTruth is I choose #Grace over guilt. #eyesonthetarget 



No comments:

Post a Comment